Motorcycle Airbrush Project – Part 1 – 6/18/14

The real reason I purchased the airbrush was to add some graphics to my motorcycle because the airbrush kit cost only slightly more than purchasing the decals for the motorcycle. I’ve been working up the confidence to start on this project and after a few weeks of research, practice, and contemplation I was finally ready to start. Here are the fairing pieces while I was still fixing them (they were badly scratched and damaged when I bought the bike).

Ferring 01 Ferring 02 Ferring 03

 

After repainting the fairings (the same color red), I decided to add a flame effect since this is one of the more popular looks on motorcycles and had a ton of ideas from looking at pictures on the Internet. I started by sketching out the basic flame shapes on the fairings with white chalk so I could easily erase them and followed by tracing with .32cm wide patterning tape and then filling in the open spots with masking tape and paper (so the areas would stay clean). It took me about 4 hours to tape these pieces up, there is plenty of intricate work involved. As they say, “The devil is in the details.”

HPIM0725

Here are the pieces the night before I sprayed them with a base white. They are now ready for detailing, but I have to make sure I have at least a good 4-5 hours of free time to start that part of the project.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s